No matter your age, getting braces is a great way to improve the form and function of your smile. Traditional braces, Invisalign clear aligners, and other options can straighten out the alignment of your bite and help you grin with full confidence in just over a year or two.
To begin the process with braces in Irving, you will need to schedule a consultation with your orthodontist. This visit a great time for you both to get to know each other and for you to understand what your treatment plan will entail. Keep reading to learn more about this consultation, including why it is important and what you can expect!
Success in orthodontics requires a solid plan, and the consultation is the planning phase for your orthodontic treatment. Your orthodontist will evaluate your bite and identify problem areas which need to be targeted with braces. You will both discuss your goals with braces and determine which option is best for you. For busy adults, the answer may be Invisalign in Irving, which is clear aligners that you can remove for big occasions. Teenagers are often better served by fixed metal braces.
Some common orthodontic issues include:
- Gapped teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Overbite, when the upper teeth reach too far over the bottom
- Underbite, when the bottom teeth cover the top
- Open bite, when the upper and lower jaw do not meet
- Crossbite, when the upper and lower jaw meet improperly
X-rays and impressions, or molds, of your teeth will also be made during this appointment. This allows your orthodontist to see how the upper and lower jaw fit together, and they may also use it to explain how your treatment plan will work.
What to Ask
You should enter your orthodontic consultation with a game plan to ensure that you get all the information that you need to make an informed decision. Whether you are looking for braces for yourself or are visiting with your child or teen, doing a little prep work beforehand will help you feel like you know just what to expect with the orthodontic option you have chosen.
Some questions that you may want to ask your orthodontist during a consultation include:
- What are my primary orthodontic issues? How are these best treated?
- What is the estimated time of treatment?
- How much will fixed braces cost? What about Invisalign?
- What are the pros and cons of each treatment as related to my specific case?
- How long will I have to wear a retainer after the treatment is complete?
- What is your experience in treating cases like mine? Do you have any photos of similar cases to share with me?
Asking these questions can help you make informed decisions regarding your orthodontic treatment. Whatever is the right option for you, you can feel good knowing you are making an excellent investment in your oral and overall health when you get braces!
Meet the Practice
The Daily Smiles Dental team offers comprehensive dentistry services, including orthodontics, for patients in and around Irving, TX. To learn more about traditional braces, Invisalign, or to schedule a consultation for you or your child, you are invited to contact the office at 972-546-4114.